Sunday, January 12, 2014

My weekend in Pictures

This weekend was a cold, adventurous one for us! Ryan has been begging me for a while now to go snow camping, and I have turned him down because I am a wuss when it comes to the cold. But for one of his graduation presents, I decided to invite all of his friends and plan a snow camping trip! and I promised that I wouldn't complain about the cold all night. 
My brother told us about this great spot up Big Cottonwood Canyon in Utah, that is up on a ridge that overlooks Brighton Ski resort. So 8 of us packed up all of our snow gear, and left on Friday night after work. It was a short hike, maybe a mile to the spot, but we had to trudge uphill through waist-deep snow to get there. Oh, and by the time we got up there it was dark! We had a long night ahead of us..


Once we found the spot, we started building a couple of snow caves. The men did most of the work- but they finally finished it and it turned out great!


Once the snow cave was built, we cooked our Mountain House meals and cuddled in the cave to get ready to sleep. By the time we finished building the snow cave, it was past midnight and we were cold and exhausted. 
Doesn't this picture just make you a little claustrophobic? ;) There were a few moments where I was scared that we would get caved in... I just had to not think about it.  It was fun being nestled under a big snow bank with my man!
 At night time, my toes started hurting me really badly. They were so cold that the pain became excruciating for me. I started bawling like a baby! I kept apologizing to Ryan because I promised that I wouldn't complain. haha But I couldn't move my feet and they started turning purple. Since my feet were numb, I didn't realize that my socks were slightly wet. BIG MISTAKE.  Ryan felt them and told me to take off my wet socks and put on an extra dry pair of socks. After about 15 minutes, my feet slowly started getting warmer. Note to self: no matter what, ALWAYS take off your socks before you go to sleep and put on dry socks!  


I woke up about 5 times during the night because I was cold, but other than that I slept pretty good. 
Here is my view of when I woke up. Fun huh! ;)

The morning time was beautiful and we actually saw our surroundings for the first time since it was dark when we arrived late the night before!





 It was a fun trip! The cold/winter style of camping definitely isn't my favorite, but it was a fun adventure. Nothing was better than packing up and getting into a car with a heater and driving to Blue Plate Diner for breakfast ;) -- Oh, and I have never been more grateful for a warm shower in my life!

 Hope you all had a fabulous, warm weekend! ;)

 photo finalsiggy_zpsbdfd543d.png

1 comment:

  1. You are such an incredible wife! I just love that you and Ryan are married and love reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete