Monday, June 17, 2013

My Weekend in Pictures + a campfire recipe

 For Father's Day, all Ryan wanted was a camping trip up in the High Uintas in Utah. So we invited a couple of our friends along for the fun.
Carly, Steve, Me, Ryan, and Race.. ready to go!!





We set up camp by Ruth Lake



CAMPFIRE CAKE-IN-AN-ORANGE RECIPE

Now for the campfire recipe.... It just so happened to be our good friend Steve's birthday the first day that we were there. So before we left, I had planned to make little mini cakes to surprise him!
I had heard about putting muffin mix into hollowed-out oranges, so I decided to try cake mix!


Step 1:  Cut the top of an orange off-- about 1/4 of the orange.
Step 2: Use a knife and hollow-out the insides. Fresh orange juice and orange pieces make for a great snack as you are preparing the orange bowls!


Step 3:  I found this "shake and pour" batter at the grocery store, and decided to use that just for the purpose of it being easy to pack into my backpack. But you could buy a box kind of cake mix too!
So for this "Shake and Pour" mixture, I just needed to add water, and shake it up in that bottle. SO easy for camping.

Step 4: Then I poured the cake batter into the hollowed-out orange bowls, about 3/4 full. 

Step 5: pop on the orange top lid

Step 6: Wrap the orange in tin-foil. I used two layers of it.

My friend Carly was an expert orange wrapper, and made these little handles which made it REALLY nice to use a stick to put through the hole and hold up the orange to put into the fire and take out.

Step 7: Put the oranges into the fire, onto hot coals and cook for about 20-30 minutes. I turned the oranges like 3 times during the 25ish minutes.

The gang waiting to see if these cakes were going to turn out... I was almost positive they wouldn't. haha

But sure enough, they turned out great!! We took the cakes out of the fire, unwrapped them from the foil, spread some frosting on top, and that was it! The cakes were super moist from the orange... and there was the most amazing orange flavor that had absorbed into the cake. It surprised me how good it tasted!

The whole gang belting out "Happy Birthday" to our bestie Steven. Such a fun and easy camping treat! 


Night time was beautiful at the lake...




The next day, we hiked to this AWESOME rock climbing spot. There was snow up there! So it was a little chilly, but the climbing was great so it made it really fun-

 WOWZA!! Isn't Utah unreal??


This was one of my favorite routes!






Until next time!


1 comment:

  1. One of the funnest trips we've done in a while. Plus, those orange cakes were genius. Thanks for that btw.

    ReplyDelete