Monday, March 11, 2013

The day my husband saved my life... seriously.

Mine & Ryan's 1st anniversary was on Friday the 8th-- We made it one year!! ;)
This weekend was quite eventful... to say the least.
 Story time, people--

The day started off with me walking into work and seeing this ADORABLE cake on my desk with a note... My co-workers Annie & Sharon had made us a little cake for our anniversary!
 How nice is that?! It was perfect, and made our day!
Annie & Sharon are the ladies that made our BEAUTIFUL weddings cakes, and Ellie's 2nd birthday cake. 




Check out their blog Bee Cakes!



So, Ryan & I decided that it would be fun to switch off planning our anniversaries every other year, and surprise the other. I wanted to be in charge of our first anniversary, so I planned it all out, and tried  to not spill the beans to him about what we were doing-- I was so excited!
Ryan had a crazy busy week at school, and I thought it would be fun to start out our weekend festivites with getting a relaxing couple's massage. After that, we headed up to Midway to eat at Tarahumara.. an AMAZING little mexican restaurant. We happened to go eat up there on the night that Ryan proposed to me, so I thought it would be fun to go back up there on our anniversary! That place is insane-- the best tacos-- and their salsa bar?? I mean, just look how many different types of salsas and sauces they have! Mmmmmm....





After dinner, I drove him up to Sundance resort where I had booked a cabin suite in the mountains! Just check out these pics--- It was so fun being tucked away in a cozy cabin. Thanks to my old co-workers at Netdocuments for hooking me up with a free nights stay at Sundance as a going away present!
 So nice.




Check out our balcony view!!



Gift giving was fun this year... Ryan got me my favorite--- a box of See's chocolates! heavenly.... I now have two boxes of chocolates on my dresser at my house.. I think I might have a problem...

Ryan and I had bought these indian chief knives a looong time ago with the intentions of eventually making them into necklaces. We totally forgot about them over time, but I surprised him and put some leather to them so we can finally wear them around our necks! Rad huh??

Ryan knows the ways to my heart.... Lulu Lemon. :)

One of my besties, Michelle is an amazing photographer, and I had her take some boudoir pictures of me to give to Ryan for our anniversary.. he loved them! I won't show them of course, but if you are interested in getting these done, it's such a fun idea! Let me know if you want Michelle's contact info. She is amazing!!

.
.
.
Ryan knows me too well and surprised me with this beautiful vintage locket... How perfect is this?!? 


I had brought my skiis and Ryan's snowboard up to the cabin earlier in the day on Friday, so that we would have them there to go skiing the next morning. Buuuuutt we ended up making it a lazy, sleepy morning instead of waking up early to go ski. It was a good choice. ;)
After we said our goodbyes to the cabin, we left and got some breakfast, then went home to pack-- I was planning on us driving down to southern Utah to Zion to camp and hike Angel's Landing on Sunday. Fun, right?? Well... before we headed out to Zion, we decided that we were craving a little rock climbing. We decided to go to the Quarry to climb for an hour or two.

And this is where our weekend changed drastically......


We had both done some climbs, and our arms were getting pretty tired. But I wanted to do one more before we left--  I started climbing and was doing pretty good. I was about 3-4 feet away from the top-- about 30 feet up from the ground-- when I reached for some holds, and as soon as I did, I heard the rope that was holding me up, slip out of my harness and go up and out of the top bar, and fall down to the ground where Ryan was belaying me. It took me a few seconds to realize what had just happened. There I was, 30 feet high, hanging on to some holds, my arms are dead tired, and I was sitting there, hanging on without anything attached to me keeping me from falling to my death. The second that I realized what happened, my heart stopped in my chest. I instantly felt unsafe, terrified, and helpless. Right as the rope came off of me, I was pulling myself up, so when the rope left me, I was stuck holding these holds with my arms strained and bent, holding my body up. My arms weren't long, holding on, they were bent against my body. This is not a good thing... because it wears out your arms VERY quickly compared to if they were hanging on straight. But once I realized that I wasn't roped in, I FROZE. I didn't want to move a muscle because I was scared that I might fall 30 feet down. I immediately closed my eyes and started taking deep breaths. I could hear other people in the Quarry gasping and talking about how I was up there with nothing holding me on. My heart started racing. I kept trying to take deep breaths to keep myself from panicking.  As I had my eyes closed, (Ryan told me this later) that as soon as he had seen the rope drop by his feet, and realized that I was in danger, he raced to the front desk and told the employees that his wife was up at the top of the wall and her rope came off. He ran back to me, and without a second thought, decided to climb up there and get me. He grabbed a guy that was nearby him, to belay him, and he also hurried and grabbed the guys shoes and strapped them on. By this time, it had been a few minutes, (which seemed like hours to me) and I was still hanging on for dear life. My arms and legs were so extremely tired by this time, and were starting to shake. This whole time, I wasn't sure what was happening below me. I didn't look directly below me, because I wanted to stay frozen in case I slipped off the rocks. I was unaware that Ryan was below me, getting ready to climb up to where I was. My legs were shaking pretty bad, and that is when I started yelling for someone to hurry and help me. Ryan called up to me and said to Hold On a little bit longer, and that he was coming up to help me. As he was climbing up, one of the employees had ran upstairs to the top of the wall, and had made a rope pulley for me to grab on to. But I didn't want to move my hands because I was so scared that I wouldn't have enough energy to grab a hold of it, then fall. Just before Ryan climbed up right behind me, my legs were shaking so badly. I can't even tell you how relieving it was to feel Ryan behind me, telling me that he was there to help me. The employee at the top, told me to put one of my arms around Ryan's neck, and once I did, I felt so much safer. I was 3-4 feet from the top, and the employee said that I could either get belayed down with me holding on to Ryan's neck, or me climb to the top using the rope pulley. I decided to finish the climb and climb over the top rail. I was alive!     OH.    MY.    GOODNESS.      What in the world just happened.. . . . .  I was sitting up at the top with the employee for a few minutes trying to figure out how my rope slipped out, and how I was so close to falling 30 feet and getting seriously injured. Ryan rushed upstairs to find me, and we hugged for a minute straight. It was at that moment when the feeling of shock had left me, and I realized how scary that really was. I cried for a good minute in his arms, and couldn't believe that he had saved my life! Ryan acted so fast and took matters into his own hands with climbing up there to help me. I honestly don't know what I would have done if he hadn't gotten up there when he did... because my arms were so strained and tired, I don't know how much longer I could have held on-- In my head, I was mentally preparing myself to jump down if I needed to-- which is such an indescribable feeling--- briefly mentally planning out how I would try and land so that i wouldn't break my legs or something. It was honestly the most frightening feeling that I have EVER felt.

Just to give you an idea.. here is a picture that I pulled from the Quarry's website of near the spot that I was hanging on to.



After Ryan and I hugged for a while, we sat down and talked with the staff about what in the heck had just happened. I can't figure out what happened.... if not the knot just came undone, if it wasn't tied correctly, or if it just wasn't tied tight enough.... I will never know. But it was definitely something that wasn't done correctly on my part. This wasn't the climbing gym's fault at all-- no faulty ropes or anything, just an incorrect knot.
We sat and talked about how lucky I was that everything went the way that it did. Honestly, sooo many things could have gone wrong--- I could have been reaching up for a hard grab just as the rope dropped, and I slipped on the grab or something. Or I could have gotten all the way to the top without knowing that the knot had come undone, and I would have been ready for Ryan to belay me down, and could have leaned back and fallen all the way down. I could have had my feet on tiny rocks, where I was unable to stay up there as long as I did. There could have been no one down there to help belay Ryan up to me. I could have easily panicked up there, and not have been able to hold on any longer.  There could have been SO many things that could have gone wrong... where I could have gotten seriously injured.

Someone was definitly watching over me that day.

I can't quite describe the feelings that I felt afterwards. I was still in shock for a while, and was feeling overwhelmed with love and gratitude for Ryan and for what he did for me. Thoughts came over me as I was holding on up there, that I could die-- and thoughts of Ellie and Ryan flooded my mind. It is an indescribable feeling, having those thoughts come over you so quickly, when 1 minute prior, I was climbing just fine and was in no danger at all. My heart is overwhelmed with gratitude for my Heavenly Father... I know that this experience wasn't just lucky. My Heavenly Father was watching over me, and I definitely had angels helping me hold on for as long as I did.
I have never had a life-threatening experience like this one. I have never felt in this much danger. I have never felt this scared. This was an experience that could have ended so badly, but didn't. I feel so blessed and lucky that I am completely okay and that no one was harmed. My thoughts since the experience have been humbling. I have realized how precious life is. And unfortunately for me, sometimes it takes life-threatening experiences to really grasp that thought. It made me want to always make sure that my loved ones know how much I love them.Maybe I needed this experience to happen just to make me realize some things. I will never know, but either way, it did. Life is so precious! And I couldn't imagine my life without my loved ones. I am so blessed and lucky that I am okay, and that I am able to sit and write about this story. Ryan will forever be my hero... I am so lucky to have such an amazing husband!

As we were walking out of the Quarry, it was the strangest feeling. Did that really just happen?? Am I really walking out of there like it didn't even happen at all? It all happened so fast, and before we knew it, we were back living life again. I don't want to ever forgot this experience, and I want to always remember how I felt after it happened-- that I was so lucky to be alive, and well. I am lucky to be able to do the things that I can do, and live the life that I want to live. I am lucky to be able to be active, and not have any health issues restricting me from being active and doing the fun things that I like to do. I am so thankful for the amazing family that I have. Ellie and Ryan are my everything! And I don't know what I would do without them. This experience has brought us closer in a way that I dont know if we would have if something like this never happened.  As sad as that is, maybe I needed this to be able to re-evaluate my life and set my priorities straight. I just hope that if this is the case, then I can be able to hold on to these thoughts, so that I don't ever have to go through something like this again. :)
Ryan and I decided to cancel our Zion trip, and just lay low and take it easy. We finished the day off with dinner and a movie. I can't wait to see Ellie when she gets back from her dad's house, because I can't tell you enough how badly I have been wanting to hug and hold her and tell her how much I love her.
Our anniversary weekend was quite eventful, right?? ha to say the least.... I am the luckiest girl in this world to be married to Ryan--Whom I can now say that he has saved my life in more ways than one ;)
I am excited for the many years ahead of us, and for our many adventures together. Let's just say that we will be quadruple checking each other's knots from now on before we climb ;)




So grateful for this guy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Goodness! That is so scary! I am glad you are alright, that could have been devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so adorable it hurts.

    Also, I'm so glad you are okay! That story was terrifying. I'm glad you were able to stay calm (I wouldn't have been able to!) and that Ryan was there to save you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so scary! I'm so grateful you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle!! That is so scary. I'm SOO glad you are ok. I'm so glad Ryan is super man and you are super woman to hold on tight that long. Geeze!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried! I felt like I could feel it! Uhggggg SO scary and I'm so happy your ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still overwhelmed after reading this post, I could really feel your emotions and how scary this all was! You are def right, Heavenly Father was def watching over you and kept you safe. I appreciate you sharing this story with us and what you have gained from it all. We all have many things in our lives to be thankful for, especially family/loved ones! Thank you for reminding me of how precious life is, and that we need not take it for granted & only worry about the things that matter!! I'm excited to be a new follower & happy that I found your lovely blog!!

    xoxo,
    Shio

    ReplyDelete