Thursday, October 25, 2012

-Beauty Routine-

I will be the first to say that in the past, I haven't put alot of money or effort into buying good beauty products..and I must say that once I decided to splurge just a tiny bit, I noticed a mound of difference in my skin and hair!
So I wanted to share with you some of my beauty routines--
 
 
Let's talk skin care for a second.
I have always had (and still do) acne prone skin. Caused by stress, I am sure! I usually just bought the good 'ol apricot blemish scrub you find at the grocery store, and called it good. But it just wasn't cutting it.... I had heard good things about Image skin care products, and decided to give it a go.
 
I washed my face with the Ageless total facial cleanser for about a week 2x a day, and instantly noticed a huge difference! My acne scars were alot lighter in color, my skin felt more smooth, and my face just felt deep cleaned.
I love this stuff!
 
 
 
But THIS stuff is the miracle stuff. The Image Vital C hydrating anti-aging serum. I put it on after I wash my face, and it hydrates my skin so well without leaving it greasy. I remember noticing a difference the morning after I had used it for the first time! My skin was brighter, softer and smoother. It helps sooth damaged skin, and nourishes with vitamins and anti-oxidants. This stuff is awesome. You can buy both of these products on Amazon, or if you are in the Orem area, Season's Salon sells all of Image's products. Go check them out!

 
 
Now for Hair---
 
 
My hair grows slower than a snail can move.... seriously! I feel like my hair has been the same length for the past 3 years. I wanted to make some changes to my hair routine, because I want my locks to be long and heathy!
For the past 6 months, I have been in boot camp with training my hair. It has been hard! But I am finally starting to see results. So be patient, my slow-hair-growing friends!
 
First and foremost, I take a Hair, Skin & Nails supplement every night before I go to bed. I bought these at Walmart. With this supplement, I drink a tall glass of water because water is good for your hair and skin! It is important to keep hydrated. I try and drink water through-out the day as much as I can too.
 
 
 
 
 
Now I will talk about my hair washing routine.....
Before I talk about products, I want to tell you a good secret..... I only wash my hair ONCE a week and it is the best thing for my hair! I used to wash, blow dry, and flat iron my hair EVERY OTHER DAY!  *cringe*   ....I used to always hear people say to only wash your hair once a week, and I thought they were crazy and disgusting. But now, I can proudly say that I wash mine once a week, and have seen a world of difference.
Washing and drying your hair damages and dries out your hair pretty fast. So I usually wash and dry my hair one day a week, then for the next day, I use a good Dry Shampoo to spruce it up and make it feel clean again, then the next couple of days I will rock some top knots or buns or something along those lines. (Thank goodness that top knots are in style right now!) If you feel like your hair gets greasy after a couple of days, you could probably wash your hair twice a week instead of once a week. Even that is better than washing it every other day. Mainly, blow drying and flat ironing are the most damaging things, so it is best to air dry your hair as much as possible.
 
I LOVE Pureology products! I use the Hydrate shampoo because my hair is damaged from coloring it so much in the past. Pureology helps protect my colored hair, which is why I love it. I feel like if I use any other shampoo, my hair color fades way fast. (which really sucks when I just blew $100 on getting my hair colored.)
Buy some here
 
 
 
 

 
 
Next topic.... COCONUT OIL! My new best friend. Weslie introduced me to this stuff, and I have fallen hard for it.
So instead of conditioner, I use this stuff- It smells great!
I bring this jar with me into the shower, and after I have rinsed out the shampoo from my hair, I run this jar under the hot water to turn it into a liquid form. Then I take some oil in my hand and put it all over my hair, mostly focusing on the length of my hair rather than the roots. Weslie talks about how she puts on the coconut oil, then wraps her hair in saran wrap or a shower cap and lets it sit for a good hour. I usually just leave mine on for about 15 minutes, then wash it out, but sometime when I get the time, I want to try the shower cap method!
 
**Be sure to wash the coconut oil out with some shampoo-- if you just rinse it, your hair will be a grease ball! **
 
buy some coconut oil here...or your local grocery store probably has some.
 

 
After I get out of the shower, I spray some 'It's a 10' miracle leave-in product into my hair. This detangles, adds keratin, and makes your hair silky soft. I use this stuff to get tangles out of Ellie's hair, or it's great to take to the beach to spray on your hair after the ocean water gets to it!
 
buy some here

 
 
Then I blow dry my hair using a round brush, then lightly running a flat-iron over it to tame it. After my hair is dry and flat-ironed, I use a dime-sized amount of Pureology ShineMax serum and run it through the ends of my hair. I LOVE this stuff! It gets rid of fly-aways, and makes my hair not feel as coarse, and makes it silky.
 
buy some here

 
 
 
Then, like I said...the rest of the week I wear my hair up in top knots or use some dry shampoo to make it less greasy.
Some more important tips that I have found to make my hair healthier and longer, are to DRINK LOTS OF WATER and don't fry your hair with color! I got a melt in my hair a few months ago, and it has made a huge difference. Before I got a melt, I was bleaching my hair every month and it would just keep frying it and my hair would get brittle and break off, which results in it never growing because it broke off! I love having a melt because when I go in for a root touchup, she doesn't put any bleach in...just dyes my roots.
 
So hopefully you liked these tips and product recommendations! I have seriously noticed a huge difference in the way my skin looks, and the way that my hair feels. You have to have a lot of patience and dedication, but it pays off if you are consistant.
 
I would love to hear your thoughts, questions, comments, and concerns!
xoxoxo

6 comments:

  1. I told my hubby I wouldn't color my hair until I have to, aka I discover a new lighter strand that I don't want. I'm a sucker for Rusk shampoo & conditioner in Moist, it smells amazing. I have to wash mine every other day or so due to my swim hobby-teaching, and Rusk keeps it fresh without weighing it down, and it hides the chlorine scent as well. I really liked Pureology when I had longer hair but with my short bob Rusk does the trick. I'll have to look into those skin care lines? I've been using doTerra lately and have liked the results thus far. How did I get through high school without one pimple and now as an adult they are showing up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have never thought of using coconut oil instead of conditioner. I did a blog post just a few days ago about dry shampoo (KMS really does rock). MAN it really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey weslie is my neighbor.
    If you come this way, I want to see you!
    I agree with you on products! I am looking into using wen, it's supposed to do wonders for hair! I've read so many amazing things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny! I recently joined the not wash hair club too. And coconut oil!!!! I've been obsessed for a while. I use it for everything. At night I seriously run it all over my body, ha! My pregnant belly, my face, my lips. And I always put it my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the hair product choices. We sell all of those at my store - come in and see me sometime :)
    Also I have been wanting to try the Image stuff and see how it works, glad to hear from a friend it works good! I had really bad breakouts before I started on birth control, but the birth control seemed to clear all of it up which was so nice. Now I just am careful about what I put on my face too. Makeup is HUGE- if you don't wear good makeup that can be the cause. I was allergic to bare escentuals and broke out like crazy (rashes and zits) after I used it.The stupid store bought walmart makeup just tends to clog pores and can totally ruin your face. The makeup I use is called Jane Iredale and made a significant difference on my skin. Honestly I have never gotten more compliments in my life since I switched. :)

    Nicole
    madeoutofrealthings.com

    ReplyDelete