Tuesday, July 24, 2012

potty training help!

I am dreading this whole 'potty training' thing....

Ryan bought Ellie a little potty today, along with some "Punzel" big girl undies. Ellie is stoked about the undies, (as you can see in the bottom picture....hiking them up past her belly button) but how do I even go about potty training this girl? I have read a few articles where they just dove right in and put the undies on their children, and when they had an accident, just made it seem yucky and told their kiddos that they don't want pee pee all over themselves, so they should go on the big girl potty.
 Sounds messy if you ask me.. but I am willing to try anything at this point.

I have also read articles where they have a "potty party" with a full two days of events including rewards of treats and snacks and movies if they go on the potty.

I also read about a "potty candle" that they get to blow out if they are successful.

These all seem great....but I just don't understand how to get them to tell you that they need to go potty in the first place! Lately,  Ellie will tell us right when she is going pee in her diaper....but it's always too late. 

So....with all this being said, I need all the help that I can get with this potty training stuff!
Mothers! How did you potty train your little one? Any tricks or suggestions?? I would love to hear from you ...because I would be one happy mother if I didn't have to buy diapers again :)

7 comments:

  1. Ok so I totally don't know you but I'm Lani's sister and I love your blog. I read it all the time. Anyway, when I potty trained my son, I was dreading it. I made it super exciting for him. Him and I went on a date the night before I started and had him pick out his own undies, he picked out his own stickers to put on his potty chart and I had him pick out what treats he wanted. (small candies like jelly beans and skittles) When he went to bed I completely decorated his bathroom with baseball stuff and balloons. I told him that we were having a potty party all week just for him! I also made a potty jar and put all the treats that he picked out in it. Every time he went in the potty he could pick out only one treat and he could put a sticker on his chart. If he had an accident then I would take out a handful of treats. He HATED that! By day three he was done! Just make sure to stick with it. Don't give up and put her back in diapers. It's super frustrating at times but stick with it! I hope some of this helps. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet post!! keep with this neat stuff
    Feel free to visit my webpage - homes for sale in edinburg tx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, no advice that i've actually experienced. i've heard (just heard) that the kicking it off with a couple of days of pure potty focus is key. basically you stay home and have them drink a lot and then have them try often. then work toward asking if they need to go and, of course, let them get have accidents (and they will) to they know what happens. all the successful moms i know do it that way.

    also, until recently nobody told me that usually it takes much longer to potty train for the night - so have some pull-ups ready for sleeping in.

    like i said, haven't tried it. you're already one step ahead of us! my ellie refuses to even put underwear on. she literally ran away screaming "don't you come near me!" and she's terrified of loud public restrooms soooooo, it's looks like you're off to a better start! :) i plan on trying again in a little while.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turned a timer on my phone and it would go off every 15 minutes. When it went off my little girl would have to sit on the potty. I gave her lots of juice that day. She eventually would just tell me that she had to go. If she ever did pee in her undies, I would pull them up and down one time bc she hated it and she realized that she didn't want to have to feel that ever again. Then after she went, she was able to put a sticker on her chart. That was her favorite part. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget the undies... I left Jackson naked from the waist down for one week. Most kids don't want to pee on the floor. Sometimes he would tinkle a little bit and then catch himself and go on the potty. Make sur ego put her on like once an hour if she isn't going herself. Then when she does go make it SUPER exciting. We did a song and potty dance afterwards. Then he got two m&ms. Good luck!! Seriously one of the most stressful things I had to do as a parent but so worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's probably the most annoying movie in the whole world, but having my daughter watch Elmo's Potty Time over and over really helped her grasp the concept of potty training.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all I know is my experience with Nix, and maybe boys/girls are different in every way...but I started the whole potty training thing with him and almost pulled my hair out trying all the tricks, tips & advice that everyone was giving me, and nothing worked. It was not a good experience for either of us, so I stopped completely...went back to diapers...and we held of for a bit. The next go around...I did nothing different in terms of "technique"...and it was a piece of cake. So, I guess what I'm saying is that if it is seeming like total chaos and both of you are struggling...that might just mean that she is not ready (I don't care how old the kid is...every kid is different).
    that's my 2-bits! good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete