Tuesday, January 10, 2012

health kick

After a trip to Mexico where I mostly consumed tacos, pina coladas, and treats, I felt like I needed to start eating healthier. I did the Master Cleanse last year, and well, it just about killed me. I can't go that long without eating food! So, I am resorting to a different cleanse where I can still eat regularly, then I just take pills and drink a nasty powder drink after dinner. Not so bad, eh? I started the cleanse last night, and I must say that I am excited for the next 10 days! Weird, I know....but lately I haven't had any energy and haven't been sleeping well, and I think it is because I am not eating well.
 So why not start off a healthy diet with a cleanse!

I chose the Garden of Life Perfect Cleanse

Along with the cleanse, I have been wanting to eat healthier. This cleanse says that you can keep eating what you normally eat, but I normally eat lots of sugar and processed foods, SO.....that would sort of defeat the purpose;)
I went shopping last night and got stuff to make a green smoothie every morning for my breakfast. If you haven't tried a green smoothie, you might think that I am crazy for wanting to drink a spinach smoothie for my breakfast. But I promise you, these things are YUMMY! And super duper healthy for you. There are many different recipes out there, but I like this one the best.
Ingredients:
1/2 of a banana
1/2 cup pineapple coconut juice or apple juice (i like apple the best)
1/2 cup mangoes or peaches....or both!
a few blueberries
A generous, big handful of spinach (about 3 oz)
You can also add a handful of kale leaves if you want- I did and it was yummy!
1 cup of ice
A cute straw to make the smoothie more luxurious to drink:)

Put the liquid in the blender first, then add the rest of the ingredients. The blender will be full!
Blend well and enjoy.

I promise you this smoothie is yummy!! If it weren't for the green color, I think sometimes I would forget that there is spinach in it:)


For lunch today, I decided to make something light because that smoothie was really filling, and I made it pretty late in the morning-
A caprese salad is one of my favorites!
Roma tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, fresh mozzerella, ad balsamic vinegar drizzled over the top.
Perfection!!



Snacking through-out the day consists of peanut butter and celery sticks and munching on carrots.
Then I will just eat a normal dinner that won't make me feel like all of my hard work for the day is ruined.

It's weird, I feel really full in my belly today and full of energy!
Now the trick is to stick with eating healthier...at least till after the wedding ;)


Let me know what you think if you try the smoothie!

5 comments:

  1. Going to try this! Thanks for the recipe.. I just did a post about eating healthier too.. must be a new years thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get pineapple coconut juice and are you using fresh or frozen mangos/peaches. We have smoothies every morning, I'm excited to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the brand of pineapple coconut juice is L&A. and I use fresh fruit, but i'm sure frozen fruit would work just as well! might even be better because it's colder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make the green smoothie for me every morning before school! Wish she could still do that, haha... I should probably start drinking this again, and I bet my daughter would like it too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete