Thursday, September 8, 2011

DIY Mirrored dresser

I FINALLY finished my dresser.... with a lot of help from my dad and brother. For some reason, I love mirrored furniture. They make a room appear larger, and they just add some glamour to any room.


This picture was my inspiration:
However, mirrored furniture is very costly....This Pottery Barn dresser is about $2,000. So,me being a single mom who can't afford such things ;), I got the crazy idea to make my own version. 
I found this Ikea dresser on KSL for $40. 
Here is the BEFORE picture:
And AFTER!
I painted the dresser edges white, then measured the spots where I would need mirrors. I got a couple of free scrap pieces of mirror from various places; KSL, remodeling stores, glass stores, neighbors, etc. Then I called up my local glass cutting shop, and asked them if they could cut them into the sizes that I needed, and I also had them drill holes in the mirrors for the knobs.
Then we used the Liquid Nails adhesive on the wood, so that it wouldn't ruin the black backing of the mirrors.
                                After the mirrors were glued on, we put the knobs on.
FINI!
What do you think??

Not identical to my inspiration picture, but I think it turned out pretty good!
In the end, it ended up costing me about $100 compared to $2,000 Not too shabby!

22 comments:

  1. holy crap! that is beautiful. i love your version more than your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Great use of the old mirror! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go!!! you did a beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! I am so doing this! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! i am in love! you did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it, good work! i would not have even thought to diy mirrored furniture but it looks great! i wanna try now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic! Way to go Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you did a really great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out unbelievably cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get the love print? That is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.madebygirl.com/?product|223 this is where I bought the Love poster from!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, Seriously I almost past out!!! I have the exact same dresser. I wanted to just go out and buy all new furniture. Now that I have seen your DIY I can redo my dresser saving so much money :)!!!! Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are the edges of the mirrors sharp? Just worried my baby will cut herself...or me! Thanks! boomboombrazil@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very Very Nice! It cost $99.00 for the Idea dresser. You mentioned that it cost you $100.00 How much was the mirror, and the person (labor) who cut the glass. You did not mention that?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy amazing!!! I love it!! thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok this is amazing!!! It turned out soo so pretty. Definitely tucking this away for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a PHENOMENAL job! Who needs Pottery Barn. Make a few more and sell them for a big profit!

    ReplyDelete