Friday, June 3, 2011

8 years

Today I caught myself in a daze, staring out the window and thinking about what today was like 8 years ago. I was 14 and I remember sitting on the couch next to my mom watching Miss Universe like we did every year. She asked me if I would put her mascara on for her because she was too weak. She was the most beautiful person I knew, hair or no hair, mascara or no mascara. But I loved getting out her makeup bag and spending that precious time with her, laughing at how awful I was at doing makeup. :)
I don't remember much after that. Everything just happened so fast. I couldn't register what was happening. The shock stayed with me for days, and weeks and months. Until I finally realized that she wasn't coming back.
I have since then grown and realized that death is a part of life. It was tragic that hers was cut short, but there is a plan for everyone and she lived her life to the fullest.  I need to focus on the things that she taught me during the time that I did have her in my life. I am grateful for the person that she was, and the way she lived her life.  She gives me strength every day to over come anything that I might be going through, and she makes me want to be the best mom I can be to little miss Ellie. I am so blessed to have such a strong family to keep me going, and for Whitney for always remembering the 3rd of June. :) 
Love and miss you, Mom!

6 comments:

  1. This was a really beautiful post, Michelle. You're amazing and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember so much about that night. I remember talking to you on IM messenger and you said, exact words, "I have to go my mom just passed out" shortly after I heard an ambulance drive past my house and I didn't make the connection. It wasn't until the next morning, I was watching music videos on Fuse and at 10:14 you called and told me what happened. I remember the rest of the day perfectly. I love you, Michelle. You're one of the strongest people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing stories about your mom. I Also remember this day 8 years ago like it was yesterday. Dan and I weren't really dating yet, but I was in California for our senior trip walking down Venice beach and alex Williams called and told us what happened. We all ended our trip early to make it to the funeral. We all adored dan (every single person in highschool did). I'm glad we came home early the funeral was such a good celebration of her life. And I remember thinking she sounds like such a fun, amazing mom. Non judgmental loved everyone. Always ordering pizza for your friends... Ha ha. Dan still would eat Pizza everyday if I let him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tribute Michelle, thanks for reminding us all of this story. She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete