Monday, December 27, 2010

DIY "Happy New Year" blocks



My brother and I made these wooden blocks for his girlfriend's house. I think they turned out cute so I thought I would share how we made them!

What you will need:
-paper (any color or pattern that you choose)
-stickers or paper letters
-Mod Podge (you can get this at Michaels)
-Sponge Brush
-Wooden blocks (my brother just bought a long 2x2 wood stick from Lowes and used our saw to cut into small pieces, but Michael's might sell them already pre-cut)
-stick of glue
-cutter or scissors


 Cut the paper into squares to fit each side of the block. Try and make them pretty accurate on size. Then take a little bit of the Mod Podge on your sponge brush and brush the back side of the square with a thin coat. Press square against one side of wood and wipe off any excess glue with a paper towel. Do this with all sides.

We used a glue stick to glue on smaller squares of contrasting colors of paper to the first layer of paper that we put on. Then we used actual letter stickers to make it easier...... less glueing!

Then you take your Mod Podge and coat each side of the block with a thin coat. let them dry on some parchment paper. Then you can paint the bottom square. When you paint your block, it might freak you out because your cute square is covered in a white coating! But no worries! It will dry clear and give the blocks a nice, smooth, finished look that will seal everything together.
FINI!



5 comments:

  1. I'm totally stealing this idea for Asher's room, SO cute Michellie! I used to make stuff all the the time, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you are so cute and crafty and always make the most adorable things. I wish I had a knack for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very cute - I keep forgetting 2011 is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete