Thursday, November 25, 2010

remembering

Today was a good day.
I had all of my family over for Thanksgiving dinner except for my little lady...*sniff Sniff*
My two sister in laws and I split up the cooking to make it a little easier. I was in charge of making the homemade stuffing, hot rolls from scratch, sweet potatoe casserole, and ginger bread cookies. Gina was brave and did the turkey, and also made the mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and a pumpkin pie. Alli made a green been casserole, a coconut cream pie and pumpkin brownies.
MY GOODNESS! Everything turned out delicious. We had one mighty feast...And we have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow for which i'm stoked for.

After playing games with the fam and watching Kung Fu Panda (which is hilarious, I might add), we busted out the 'ol Christmas tree. My family was doing dishes while I pulled out the ornaments and decorated the tree. I was by myself surrounded by silence and as I was taking out each ornament, I had an overwhelming feeling of my mother. Her and my dad would take us to pick out one ornament each year growing up. It was one of my favorite traditions. Looking at each ornament made so many memories rush through my mind.

I noticed that one ornament said "Julee" on it and I got pretty emotional. I couldn't help but think of the pain that my mom and dad went through when they lost my older sister. That was before I was born, but now after having my own child, I can't even imagine if that were to happen to me. My parents are amazing, strong people and I am very thankful for them.

My mother passed away when I was 14 but it seems like yesterday. I know that she was with us today- helping in the kitchen, putting up ornaments with me, laughing with us at the table, and crying with me. I miss her very much and I am very thankful for everything that she did for me.

3 comments:

  1. That's beautiful Michelle. Ellie misses her Mommy too! She keeps wanting all the women to hold her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing.
    Your little girl is one lucky
    girl to have you as a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry your little darling is away from you at this time. I actually saw her daddy at the mall the other day. Anyways no worries she'll be home with you soon :) Your Thanksgiving feast sounds amazing and the traditions about the ornaments is so special. I have a lot of dear memories of your mom. I'm sure she is right there with you more than you know it.

    ReplyDelete