Thursday, September 30, 2010

flower power

Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for these paper flowers. Thank you, Pebbles in my Pocket. I fell in LOVE with these when I saw them in the store! I instantly thought of putting some in Ellie's room. I will be real with you though..I thought they would be alot easier than they made out to be. (maybe you'll be luckier than I was) But the more I made, the faster I got at making them.
I started out with some paper that I liked, the ones with a solid color on one side and a patterned side on the other are the cutest! I also bought these green floral wire stick thingys at Pebbles, but you could probably find them at Michaels. You will also need a hot glue gun, scissors, and a pencil.
I also wanted to make some out of felt. (go figure)
Material Girls has a huge variety of unique colors for all you felt-crafty people.


Take a pencil and lightly draw a squiggly circle. You might get to the point where you can free-cut it out without drawing it first, but if you're like me....i'll stick with my pencil, thank you.

You can draw smaller or bigger circles depending on the size of flower you want to make. If you make too long of a circle, the flower won't turn out as well. Since I am horrible at explaining, I would just test out your first flower on a scratch paper so you don't mess up on your cute paper or felt. One more tip: be sure to not draw too tall of waves..the picture below is about as wavy as you should get. Too much, just makes your flower fall apart. (You don't have to draw waves at all if you don't want to, it just gives it a nice touch.)



Cut it out!

Start rolling up the circle from the outside-in.
Make sure to roll it somewhat snug. It will loosen up after you roll it.


All snug as a bug.
Then let go of the pressure, so the flower opens up and loosens.
(don't mind my finger nail polish...I was bored one night, ok?)



It should open up like this.


Take your wire and bend it at a 90 degree angle about 1/2 inch from the end.


Take your glue gun and dab some glue on what was the inside of the circle that you cut out.


Press the angled part of the wire on the glued part


Then fold the flap closed onto the flower.
Easy right?! HA.
It took me about 4 flowers until I finally got it right, so don't feel like a failure if it takes you a couple of times.

I thought felt would be alot easier to work with, but for me it was harder. For one, a pencil doesn't show up. So I tried free-cutting it and uhh let's just say that didn't work out too well. So I used a thin sharpie to trace my circle. Just make sure that you cut off any of the sharpie before you roll it, or else it will show on your flower.

Lovely.


FINI!

7 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! i love these!!!! so so so cute!
    and thanks for the felt website. i'm addicted. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so cute! Can't wait to see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'll be using this idea! Thanks Michelle!

    ReplyDelete